- The Washington Times
Sunday, November 17, 2019

Redskins safety Montae Nicholson will be active for Sunday’s game against the New York Jets, days after a 21-year-old woman he was reportedly dating died of a drug overdose.

It was reported Nicholson was cooperating with Loudoun County authorities after the 23-year-old and another man dropped the woman off at the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Nicholson missed practice Thursday, but returned the following day. Interim coach Bill Callahan said the Redskins would let the legal process unfold, but did not dismiss the idea of Nicholson playing in the meantime.

This will be Nicholson’s first appearance since Week 7. The Michigan State product had been dealing with an ankle injury, which caused him to miss two games.

A fourth-round pick in 2017, Nicholson has 35 tackles and two interceptions this season.

Elsewhere, wide receiver Cam Sims is active after Washington promoted him from the practice squad to the active roster on Saturday. The team needed another wideout with Paul Richardson out with a hamstring injury.

Richardson did not practice all week and suffered the injury two weeks ago against the Buffalo Bills. On Friday, Callahan mentioned Sims as one of the younger players he’d like to see excel in the last seven games of the season.

“We’re looking at everybody on the roster,” Callahan said.

Sims was active for Washington’s Week 5 loss to the New England Patriots, recording two offensive snaps in a 33-7 loss. The Alabama product was an early standout in training camp, but faded down the stretch and failed initially to make the 53-man roster. He also appeared in one game in 2018.

Besides Richardson, here’s who else was declared inactive against the Jets:

  • Running back Chris Thompson (toe)
  • Tight end Vernon Davis (concussion)
  • Quarterback Colt McCoy
  • Defensive lineman Tim Settle (hamstring)
  • Safety Deshazor Everett (ankle)
  • Guard Wes Martin

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.