President Trump is weighing an executive order to tackle alleged anti-conservative bias by social media companies, the White House confirmed Thursday.
“The president announced at last month’s social media summit that we were going to address this, and the administration is exploring all policy solutions,” an administration official said.
At a meeting of conservative social-media heavyweights at the White House in mid-July, Mr. Trump promised he would “explore all regulatory and legislative solutions to protect free speech and the free-speech rights of all Americans.”
“We hope to see transparency, more accountability, and more freedom,” the president said. “Big tech must not censor the voices of the American people.”
At that event, the president and others targeted Twitter, Facebook and Google for suppressing conservative views. The tech companies have repeatedly denied such accusations.
Politico reported that the White House is circulating drafts of an executive order, although the contents and timing of any possible action aren’t clear.
As the president considers the move, Twitter locked accounts this week belonging to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s reelection campaign and several other conservatives for posting videos of left-wing protesters gathered outside Mr. McConnell’s Kentucky home. One demonstrator could be heard calling for Mr. McConnell to be stabbed in the heart.
The lockout by Twitter prompted the McConnell campaign to accuse the platform of political bias. At the same time, critics noted, Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro of Texas suffered no consequences for tweeting out the names of donors who gave the maximum amount to the president’s reelection campaign.
“Twitter locked our account for posting the video of real-world, violent threats made against Mitch McConnell,” McConnell campaign manager Kevin Golden said in a statement. “This is the problem with the speech police in America today.”
Mr. Golden said, “The Lexington-Herald can attack Mitch with cartoon tombstones of his opponents. But we can’t mock it. Twitter will allow the words ‘Massacre Mitch’ to trend nationally on their platform. But locks our account for posting actual threats against us. We appealed and Twitter stood by their decision, saying our account will remain locked until we delete the video.”
Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.