- The Washington Times - Thursday, August 20, 2026

D.C. police said late Wednesday that they arrested a preteen boy in connection with the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old boy in Northeast last month.

Metropolitan Police said members of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force took the 12-year-old suspect into custody on charges of voluntary manslaughter while armed.

Authorities sought to arrest the boy after linking him to the July 11 shooting that killed 13-year-old Ahmad Mims in Kingman Park.



Police said the shooting erupted shortly before 8:30 p.m. that day in the 1600 block of Rosedale Street Northeast.

Upon arrival, police said officers found Ahmad suffering from a gunshot wound on a sidewalk. The boy was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators said the shooting occurred inside a home on the block. 

Contact the author

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Story Topics

Please read our comment policy before commenting.