- The Washington Times - Monday, August 17, 2026

The U.S. has awarded a $22.9 billion contract to defense contractor Raytheon to increase production of Tomahawk cruise missiles, the standard-bearer for American long-range precision power projection, Pentagon officials announced Monday.

The Tomahawk Land Attack Missile is designed to fly at extremely low altitudes and high-subsonic speeds. They are controlled over an evasive route by mission-tailored guidance systems, officials said.

The contract is a result of the Trump administration’s “Arsenal of Freedom” initiative for industry to rapidly scale up weapons manufacturing by eliminating bureaucratic hurdles.



“This Tomahawk award increases our ability to increase the joint force, ensuring our warfighters never face a fair fight,” Under Secretary of War Michael P. Duffey said.

The first operational use of the Tomahawk was during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. Since then, more than 2,300 have been fired in combat.

Raytheon President Phil Jasper said parent company RTX is making “significant investments” in Raytheon’s workforce, technology, supply chain and production facilities to “dramatically boost” the number of Tomahawk missiles it can produce to meet demand.

“Tomahawk is the Navy’s most important strike weapon, able to target hostile forces hundreds of miles away without ever risking the lives of our sailors,” Mr. Jasper said in a statement.

Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the $22.9 billion deal with Raytheon will accelerate missile delivery at “unprecedented speed.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

“Guaranteeing our naval and joint forces have the lethal firepower they need to deter aggression and protect the homeland is paramount,” Mr. Cao said.

Contact the author

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.