- The Washington Times
Sunday, November 27, 2022

The coach for Saudi Arabia’s soccer team denied the widely reported claim that the country’s royal family promised to give each player a Rolls Royce “Phantom” for defeating Argentina last week.

“There is nothing true about this,” coach Herve Renard said, Yahoo News reported Saturday. “We have a very serious federation and ministry of sport and it is not the time to get something at this moment.”


Saudi Arabia’s 2-1 stunner to open their World Cup tournament was quickly followed by multiple outlets reporting that Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman was footing the bill for 26 RM6 Million Rolls-Royces, according to the New York Post.

The cost of each vehicle is around $450,000. 

“It’s not true,” Saudi forward Saleh al-Shehri said of the Rolls-Royce claim. “We are here to serve our country and do our best. That is the rewards.”

Renard said separately that the team was turning its attention toward its remaining group stage games “and are hoping for some more” after that.


SEE ALSO: Report: Lionel Messi to sign with Inter Miami, become highest-paid MLS player ever


Poland defeated Saudi Arabia 2-0 on Saturday in the second game of the group stage.

• Matt Delaney can be reached at mdelaney@washingtontimes.com.


Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC.