- The Washington Times
Monday, November 14, 2022

Law enforcement arrested a man Monday suspected of fatally shooting three members of the University of Virginia football team and wounding two others late Sunday in Charlottesville, a tragedy that stunned the college athletics world and crippled the campus with fear overnight.

Police had scrambled all night to find Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., who was considered armed and dangerous. The Henrico County Police arrested him “without incident” just before 11 a.m. in the Richmond area.

“We’ve just received information the suspect is in custody,” UVA Police Chief Tim Longo said in the middle of a press conference. “Just give me a moment to thank God and breathe a sigh of relief.”

Police accused Mr. Jones of opening fire on a bus that had taken a class to the District to see a play.

It was unclear whether Mr. Jones was a part of the class trip or entered the bus later.

“We found them dead inside that bus,” Chief Longo said referring to two victims, adding that a third victim died at the hospital.

SEE ALSO: Four University of Idaho students found dead in apartment; police investigating suspected homicides

The university identified those killed as juniors D’Sean Perry, Devin Chandler and Lavel Davis Jr.

Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner Jim Phillips called the shooting “devastating and senseless” and said the athletics conference would do “whatever is asked of us in the days ahead.”

“Our focus is on the young men and women impacted by this tragedy,” he said.

The White House said President Biden and first lady Jill Biden are mourning the tragedy and the administration is in close contact with state and local officials.

“Too many families across America are bearing the awful burden of gun violence,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said. “Earlier this year, President Biden signed the most significant gun safety law in nearly three decades, in addition to taking other historic actions. But we must do more.”

Mr. Jones faces three counts of second-degree murder and weapons charges. He is described on the university website as an ex-football player who was on the roster in 2018 but did not play any games.

Police searched by land and by helicopter all night for him and released a description of him and the vehicle he might have been in.

Police told the campus to shelter in place around 10:40 p.m. Sunday after a shooting on Culbreth Road before the all-clear was given in the morning.

Chief Longo said the university received a tip in September from an off-campus person about Mr. Jones.

Mr. Jones said he had a gun, but the comment was not tied to a threat and Mr. Jones’ roommate had never seen the weapon.

• Tom Howell Jr. can be reached at thowell@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC.