BALTIMORE (AP) - The Maryland Jockey Club has not yet announced concrete plans for a postponed running of the Preakness Stakes, the state’s largest annual sport event originally scheduled for May 16.
The Baltimore Sun reports that the Jockey Club’s parent company, The Stronach Group, has not made any formal announcement since it canceled the Preakness InfieldFest on April 3 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Stronach Group officials said then that they were working with key stakeholders “to explore all options to set a new date for the running of the Preakness 145.”
A company spokesperson did not respond to calls and e-mails seeking comment on the status of the Preakness.
Shortly after the Kentucky Derby was postponed from May 2 to Sept. 5 because of the pandemic, Gov. Larry Hogan said he and Jockey Club officials were discussing a corresponding move to September for the Preakness. But Hogan has not commented on the race since then.
“We are in regular discussions with The Stronach Group about plans for the Preakness, but there are no updates at this time,” the governor’s spokesman, Mike Ricci, said Friday.
Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC.
Click to Read More and View Comments
Click to Hide
Please read our comment policy before commenting.