- The Washington Times
Friday, June 21, 2019

Sen. Martha McSally joined a chorus of Republican senators Thursday condemning former Senate candidate Roy Moore from a second run at an Alabama Senate seat.

“Give me a break. This place has enough creepy old men,” the Arizona Republican said to Politico.


Mr. Moore lost to Sen. Doug Jones in the December 2017 special election to fill the seat previously held by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Mr. Moore’s campaign suffered after allegations of sexual misconduct, specifically that he dated teen girls while he was a prosecutor in his 30s, which he has denied.


SEE ALSO: ‘Yes, I can win’: Roy Moore dismisses GOP critics with 2020 Senate bid


Mr. Moore entered the Senate race Thursday against Republican wishes.

Even President Trump said in May that Mr. Moore “probably won’t” be able to win a rematch.

“Republicans cannot allow themselves to again lose the Senate seat in the Great State of Alabama. This time it will be for Six Years, not just Two. I have NOTHING against Roy Moore, and unlike many other Republican leaders, wanted him to win. But he didn’t, and probably won’t,” Mr. Trump tweeted.

Reactions from Republicans were negative toward Mr. Moore’s candidacy, with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell promising they will “be opposing Roy Moore vigorously.”

“The people of Alabama are smarter than that,” Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado said. “They certainly didn’t choose him last time. Why would they choose him this time?”

Alabama Sen. Richard Shelby also spoke out, telling The Associated Press, “Alabama can do better than Roy Moore” before his announcement.

When asked if Mr. Moore could win the nomination, Mr. Shelby said, “I don’t think it’s good for the party nationally. … I don’t think it would help the president, I don’t think it would help anybody running.”

Mr. Moore joins a crowded field hoping to unseat Mr. Jones and deliver a larger Republican majority for the Senate.

Rep. Bradley Byrne and former Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville are two Republicans who have declared their candidacy. Mr. Shelby has said Mr. Sessions hasn’t decided whether to run for his seat again.


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.