- The Washington Times
Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Devices that appear to be pipe bombs were sent to former President Barack Obama and the Clintons, to CNN and to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office, authorities said Wednesday, calling them an attempt to terrorize the country amid a heated political season.

Law enforcement officials said the same person or group of people appeared to be behind the explosives, and Mr. Cuomo said he wouldn’t be surprised if more devices are discovered.


He announced that a device was sent to his Manhattan office in the middle of a press conference called to give the latest details on the other potential explosives sent to CNN and to the Clintons, both in New York.


SEE ALSO: Bomb found in George Soros’ mailbox


“These devices are an attempt to strike fear — hence terrorism,” Mr. Cuomo said.

However, Assistant Commissioner Peter Donald, a NYPD spokesperson, said the package sent to Mr. Cuomo was unrelated and not a device as the governor described.


SEE ALSO: ‘Act of terror’ declared as pipe bomb, envelope with white powder sent to CNN HQ


Authorities also indicated a bomb-like device sent earlier this week to Democratic mega-donor George Soros’s home in New York was linked.

Capitol Police confirmed a suspicious package was delivered to an offsite mail screening facility, which was evacuated.

The package was intended for Rep. Maxine Waters, the California Democrat confirmed in a statement, and is being further investigated by the FBI.

Police are also investigating a suspicious package sent to the Florida office of Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a former chair of the Democratic National Committee, and several news reports said Capitol Police were checking for a device in their mail.

Capitol Police said they are coordinating with law enforcement in Florida in the ongoing investigation.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions and FBI Director Christopher Wray backed out of speaking at a Justice Department ceremony Wednesday because of the bomb threats.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein spoke on their behalf, telling members of the audience, “”We condemn the actions of the person or persons who sent the devices in the strongest most possible way.”

The Secret Service confirmed it had stopped two “potential explosive devices” sent to Mr. Obama and to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton.

“The packages were immediately identified during routine mail screening procedures as potential explosive devices and were appropriately handled as such,” a Secret Service statement read. “The protectees did not receive the packages nor were they at risk of receiving them.”

The agency said the package targeting Mrs. Clinton, intercepted late Tuesday night, was addressed to her home address in New York. The one intended for Mr. Obama was caught early Wednesday morning in Washington, D.C.

The Secret Service said that no package was sent to the White House, despite several media reports.

Mrs. Clinton thanked the Secret Service while speaking at an event in Miami, and said she and Mr. Clinton are fine.

The Secret Service said that no package was sent to the White House, despite several media reports.

Mrs. Clinton thanked the Secret Service while speaking at an event in Miami, and said she and Mr. Clinton are fine.

“But it is a troubling time isn’t? It is a time of deep divisions and we have to do everything we can to bring our country together,” she said, “We also have to elect candidates that will try to do the same.”

The White House strongly condemned the threats lodged against the Clintons and the Obamas.

“These terrorizing acts are despicable, and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. The United States Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies are investigating and will take all appropriate actions to protect anyone threatened by these cowards,” Press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement.

President Trump chimed in via Twitter, adding to his vice president’s post, “I agree wholeheartedly!”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the packages constituted attempted terrorism.

“I stand with all Americans in condemning today’s attempted acts of domestic terrorism. As we continue to learn more, Americans are united in gratitude for the first responders,” he said.

CNN’s main offices in New York were evacuated later Wednesday morning after a suspicious package was found inside the Time Warner building.

— Staff Writer Jeff Mordock


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.