It’s not just Donald.
White House staff will follow President Trump’s lead and boycott the White House Correspondents Dinner, according to the sponsoring group’s chief.
Jeff Mason, president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, said Tuesday night that the gesture had been described to him as a specific act of “solidarity” with Mr. Trump, with whom the press has a mutually contentious relationship.
“WHCA board regrets this decision very much. We have worked hard to build a constructive relationship with the Trump White House and believe strongly that this goal is possible even with the natural tension between the press and administrations that is a hallmark of a healthy republic,” Mr. Mason said in a statement he posted to Twitter.
Mr. Trump said a month ago that he would not attend the event, sometimes referred to as “Nerdprom” and at which the president customarily gives a speech ribbing himself, other government officials and members of the press.
Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.