- The Washington Times
Thursday, April 8, 2021

Rep. Ilhan Omar on Wednesday criticized the Biden administration for considering restarting construction on the previous administration’s “xenophobic and racist” southern border wall.

“It’s shameful and unacceptable for @POTUS to continue the construction of Trump’s xenophobic and racist wall,” the Minnesota Democrat tweeted to her nearly three million followers.


Ms. Omar was responding to a report by The Washington Times on Monday that Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas told Immigration and Customs Enforcement employees last week that he may restart former President Donald Trump’s border wall construction to plug what he called “gaps” in the current barrier.

“The president has communicated quite clearly his decision that the emergency that triggered the devotion of DOD funds to the construction of the border wall is ended,” Mr. Mayorkas told employees, according to notes of the ICE session reviewed by The Washington Times. “But that leaves room to make decisions as the administration, as part of the administration, in particular areas of the wall that need renovation, particular projects that need to be finished.”

White House press secretary Jen Psaki addressed the report Tuesday, explaining that President Biden “paused” most construction at the wall but that there is still “some limited construction that has been funded and allocated for.”

“Wall construction remains paused, to the extent permitted by law,” she said. “So some has already been funded through a congressional authorization and funding allocation. But as agencies develop for a plan — it’s paused while agencies are developing a plan for the president on the management of the federal funds.”


Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.