- The Washington Times
Friday, November 15, 2019

Prince Andrew sat down with the BBC for a forthcoming interview on Saturday amid mounting pressure to address his relationship to the late sexual predator Jeffrey Epstein.

The Duke of York spoke with BBC “Newsnight’s” Emily Maitlis at Buckingham Palace on Thursday in what Ms. Maitlis described as a “no holds barred interview,” the network said Friday.


No preview clips of the interview have been released.

Prince Andrew has faced renewed criticism after revelations that he was spotted hanging out with Epstein on at least two separate occasions in 2011 — more than two years after the financier’s first conviction for soliciting prostitution from a minor.

On Aug. 10, Epstein took his own life  while awaiting trial on sex-trafficking charges. One of his alleged sex slaves, Virginia Giuffre, said she was forced to have sex with the duke three times when she was a teenager between 1999 and 2002.

In a recent interview with “60 Minutes Australia,” Ms. Giuffre said the duke should “go to jail,” the New York Post reported.

Prince Andrew has vehemently denied knowing anything about Epstein’s crimes and said that any implications that he was involved are untrue. He has also denied any “impropriety” with Ms. Giuffre or any underage girls.

“I met Mr. Epstein in 1999,” the duke said in an August statement following Epstein’s death. “During the time I knew him, I saw him infrequently and probably no more than only once or twice a year. I have stayed in a number of his residences.

“I have said previously that it was a mistake and an error to see him after his release in 2010 and I can only reiterate my regret that I was mistaken to think that what I thought I knew of him was evidently not the real person, given what we now know,” he said at the time.


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.