Jane Fonda says she is “ashamed” of herself for sitting in silence despite knowing of the sexual harassment charges that ended movie mogul Harvey Weinstein’s career.
The New York Times rocked Hollywood last week with an exposé on decades of harassment claims against one its kingmakers, but the actress who once turned heads in “Barbarella” knew key details 12 months ago. Ms. Fonda said fellow actress Rosanna Arquette — one of many women coming forward with accusations against Mr. Weinstein — confided in her, but she was not “bold” enough to go public with the information.
“I found out about Harvey a year ago, and I’m ashamed I didn’t say anything back then,” the activist and co-founder of Women’s Media Center told CNN on Thursday. “I was not that bold. I guess it hadn’t happened to me, and I didn’t feel it was my place. […] “I’m glad it’s coming out. I’m so proud of those fellow actors that are speaking up. I know that it has taken a long time. It is a very, very, very hard thing to do. You don’t get anything out of it as the person who has been victimized, but it is important that it comes out.”
Some of the developments since the producer’s termination on Sunday include additional women coming forward, Democratic Party lawmakers denouncing the long-time donor, and a new investigation by the New York City Police Department into a 2004 allegation of sexual assault.
“Based on information referenced in published news reports, the NYPD is conducting a review to determine if there are any additional complaints relating to the Harvey Weinstein matter,” the department said in a statement released Thursday.
Hachette Book Group, the U.S. publishing arm of France’s Lagardere, also terminated its Weinstein Books imprint on Thursday.
Copyright © 2017 The Washington Times, LLC.