Music fans were stunned early Thursday to learn that Mr. Cornell, 52, was found dead in a Detroit hotel bathroom just hours after a show. Medical examiners said he hanged himself, although wife Vicky Cornell issued a statement saying an accidental dosage of Ativan may have impaired his judgment.
“When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,” Mrs. Cornelltold CNN on Friday. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him. What happened is inexplicable, and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details.”
The family is waiting for toxicology test results to address their suspicions.
“Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages,” attorney Kirk Pasich told the network. “The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions.”
Copyright © 2017 The Washington Times, LLC.